The 2.8 release of SyncSketch further smooths out the user experience by improving responsiveness and adding support for variations in 3D and video file imports.
- Improved comment selection between offline and online users, making for a less jumpy experience in the comments panel
- The Project Overview's space-bar quick-preview view no longer requires a page refresh to see updated thumbnails.
- Added thumbnails to PDF report downloads for general comments made on single images in a review
- Performance optimizations for how 3D viewer scenes get saved
- Movies with audio that does not start on the first frame (i.e. Maya playblasts) are now supported; audio scrubbing and playback are now synchronized correctly to the video
- Fixed an issue that could cause Collada 3D imports to fail
- Fixed an issue where the dialog inviting users to join a sync session in progress was not showing up anymore
- Fixed stuttering playback when viewing the same video twice, side-by-side, using compare mode
- In the 3D viewer, fixed syncing issues relating to when a synced user unexpectedly disconnects from a session or navigates to another tab in their browser
- Fixed alignment of labels for minimum brush size and opacity level in the custom brushes panel
- Addressed a permissions issue for API Script users, where users with a workspace scope set had issues updating or accessing project data
With release 2.7, the team at SyncSketch has focused on the finer details of existing workflows to deliver an even more intuitive experience for creative clients.
We've made the navigation tools for the 3D Viewer more discoverable and easier to access, updated the menus to be more consistent across SyncSketch, as well as several other improvements to PDFs, upload behavior, and managing items.
For more insights on the full changes, please see below for details.
- Added a 3D Viewer toggle button to switch between camera and draw modes, with an additional menu for camera navigation options
- Moved the 3D Viewer settings panel button to the top navigation bar, aligned with other buttons that open panels on the right side of the viewer
- Enterprise customers can now add Purchase Order (P.O.) numbers to invoices when adjusting plan limits
- Updated the look and feel of several menus across the system, improving consistency of experience and text legibility of menu options
- Improved error handling when unsupported file types are uploaded by users
- Added a name editing mode on double-click for Items in the Review Player's shot item list
- It’s now easier to cancel and remove items while they are still processing, after the upload is complete.
- Fixed an issue where the selection menu bar would not trigger actions upon click, in some cases, where only a single item was selected
- Updated drag-select behavior to select the relevant text when renaming a review item
- Fixed an error that prevented users from subscribing again after canceling their subscription
- Fixed an issue that prevented sketches for 360 content and Sketchfab models from saving
- Fixed validation on the checkout page that was preventing users from increasing plan limits during the trial period
- Optimize PDF upload encoding to use a more efficient image format
- Fixed an issue with the ellipsis menu on individual items in the project view, where the move & copy items options were not loading as expected
- Applied a fix to custom sort ordering in the project view, ensuring that the indexes listed on the left side of items are listed in the correct numerical order
- Updated the link to education prices on the pricing page, which was not working when user is logged in
With the release of version 2.6, the SyncSketch team is proud to deliver significant improvements on some of the little things that really matter day-to-day: loading speeds, smooth user interface interactions, increased file format support, and more!
Following on recent database upgrades and optimizations, significant progress this release was made improving the loading speed when transferring of media via the ShotGrid integration for Enterprise users, as well as continued improvement to the 3D Viewer user interface to make it feel even more intuitive to use in everyday workflows.
For a deeper dive on all the changes, please see below for the full release notes.
- Significantly reduced the wait time required after selecting a playlist to transfer from ShotGrid
- Updated the user interface of the 3D Viewer to be more intuitive
- Moved the button which activates Camera Navigation to live alongside the Brush Tool activation button
- Removed the 2D zoom icon for 3D models
- Moved the object selection tool into the player icon bar
- We now disable the UV window button instead of hiding it when no UVs are available on the 3D model
- Improved readability of frame numbers when viewing PDFs
- Error messaging is clearer when uploading images with unsupported or invalid dimensions.
- When Reviews are renamed, it's now noted in the Activity log.
- Added support for both single-frame GIF images as well as GIFs starting with the GIF87a header
- New unread annotations are highlighted during an active review session and not just on page refresh
- Updated the Default Link Expiration configuration option to include additional options for the number of days, including 2 and 3 weeks.
- Updated the Item action menu options in the player to be more legible, responsive, and mobile-friendly
- Added messaging for when user attempts to take actions that would cancel an upload in progress
- Optimized how Item file size calculations are made, improving speed and accuracy when displaying account storage usage
- Fixed an error that was preventing user account deletions on occasion
- Removed a flickering effect that would display after submitting the project creation dialog
- Updated the password reset dialog so that Gmail users can now more easily find password reset emails
- On newly uploaded items, the user interface shows the associated video’s thumbnail as soon as encoding completes
- Fixed an issue where switching back and forth between Items would cause a subset of media to look like it was extremely zoomed in upon reloading
- The Files tab on the user profile page no longer displays items that were deleted with their Reviews
- You can now use a wider variety of special characters in passwords
- Dropping static URLs for images and video onto reviews to upload media is working again
- Fixed an issue with how file sizes were being calculated when using the Dropbox integration
- Enterprise customers can add Purchase Order (P.O.) numbers to invoices when adjusting plan limits
- Improved error handling when unsupported file types are uploaded
- PDFs are no longer cropped when using Custom Video Display
- Fixed a rare case that caused PDF downloads to fail, which was returning the error “Number of frames does not match”
In release 2.5, the SyncSketch team has added functionality to create a new type of user, specifically for making API calls.
API Script Users introduces the ability for administrators to more easily integrate SyncSketch into their production pipelines.
This feature set is targeted at the needs of teams with pipeline developers and technical artists who want to call the SyncSketch API from scripts running in the background on a server, such as with a cron job, event daemon, or web server.
To add an API Script User, workspace administrators on enterprise accounts can visit the new workspace settings' API tab.
Based on user feedback, we've also made several improvements to our mobile device experience, timecode support, review statuses, and more. See below for the full 2.5 release notes:
- Added the ability to generate API Script Users via the workspace settings, who are able to enact actions only via the API. They are not able to log in via the web interface and do not consume a paid seat
- Tools within the mobile experience have been updated to better match that of the desktop web application. We've ported over the color selection eyedropper, full screen mode, undo, timeline brackets, pen size adjustability, note navigation icons, and approval statuses
- Added an option to project settings which allows for administrators to explicitly set whether timecode embedded in uploaded media files is observed
- Improved reading of timecode start frame metadata, embedded in video files coming from a wide range of professional cameras
- When Global Time Displayis set to useTimecodein the project settings, timecode will be displayed as a burn-in instead of frame numbers when downloading videos with sketches
- Several improvements to selection & editing of Itemswhile they’re actively uploading
- Added an additional Itemreview status calledFor Review
- Updated how the current frame of a video is set in the player, in order to reduce stuttering in sequence playback mode
- Thumbnails are now frame-accurate in downloaded PDFs at all frame rates, fixing an issue where they would previously be off-by-one frame in some cases
- The Default Start Frame, as set within project settings, is now observed when clips do not have embedded timecode, and when clips do have embedded timecode but the Project is set to ignore them.
- The companyfield listed for the billing contact now saves on form submission as expected
- Removed an erroneous tooltip message that suggested previews were available for 3D files
- Fixed an issue where sorting review items alphabetically by uploader did not produce the expected ordering
- Updated 3D viewer playback and the conversion of FBX files to respect non-integer frame rates
- Fixes to resolve timecode issues when generating PDF and CSV exports
- FBX Files now observe embedded frame numbering when Use Embedded Timecodeis enabled in the project settings
In our latest release, the SyncSketch team introduced a new webhook that enterprise teams can use to integrate with their pipelines.
This new webhook will call out to a client-configured URL when a review session has ended. We detect that a session has ended when the number of users in a synced review drops below 2.
To use this new webhook, workspace administrators on enterprise accounts can visit the workspace settings' webhooks tab.
We have also made a handful of performance optimizations, speeding up PDF conversions and page load times across the application. See below for full 2.4 release notes:
- Added an additional webhook option for when a review session ends
- Optimized the conversion and compression of uploaded PDFs, significantly reducing the wait before being able to interact with these types of files
- Provided an option for workspace administrators to show file space usage for each project
- Additional caching for ShotGrid projects associated with SyncSketch, reducing the time needed to present project data on page load
- Updated activity logging to display activities for an item copied between 2 projects in the activity streams for both projects. Previously the activity would only be recorded in the source project of the item
- Fixed an issue with image transcoding, where images with a large volume of metadata attributes embedded would not convert
- Updated the copy link and save settings behavior in the share review dialog to be more intuitive and explicit
- Reduced the frequency of errors when generating annotation PDFs for reviews larger than 100 items
- Addressed an error where on rare occasions the ShotGrid integration would not find a matching user
- Removed a loading mask that would sometimes prevent users from clicking buttons in modal windows for several seconds
With release 2.3, we've focused on delivering one of our most often requested features: Copying Review Items. You can now add Items to multiple Reviews without increasing your storage usage and upload counts.
In order to use this new functionality, select one or multiple Items, then select "Add to..." from the pop-over menu.
To see all available functionality for copying items, have a quick read through the docs: https://support.syncsketch.com/copying-items
We've also added significant improvements to the 3D Model Viewer, review link sharing, and our ShotGrid integration. See full release notes for 2.3 below:
- You can now copy media items into other reviews (including copying multiple items into multiple reviews) without impacting your storage usage or upload limits. Learn more about the initial release here
- The 3D Model Viewer has moved out of Alpha status and packaged up into a full production release. In addition to dozens of bug fixes and small interface tweaks, there are many feature improvements: UV navigation is more robust, Alt/Option-H will now reveal hidden objects, Flythrough keyboard controls no longer require the Shift key and are compatible with European keyboards, Improved synchronization of camera views among synced reviewers, Playback speed control now works in the 3D Model Viewer
- When sharing a review link, the Save button will now copy the link with an embedded password for sharing with your collaborators
- The Project Overview page now sorts by the most recent by default
- Selections are now preserved after canceling out of the Copy/Move dialog
- SyncSketch now gracefully reconnects when devices wake up after sleeping
- The Project Overview now restores the most recent Review Group selection
- Resolved an issue where using “Set Frame as Thumbnail” was generating the error “Thumbnail for this image could not be updated”.
- The User List in the Workspace Settings’ Usage tab should now represent all users that count against seat usage
We've been focused this release primarily on performance improvements across the board. From improving sync stability to optimizing video encoding settings, we hope you'll notice improvements across the application.
We also added additional configuration options to our ShotGrid integration, which allow for more specific access restrictions.
See the full release notes below for more details:
- Improved overall sync stability and performance with optimizations to sequence playback, 3D Viewer, Whiteboard and the Presenter mode.
- In the ShotGrid integration workspace configuration, added options for restricting access to specific SyncSketch projects, as well as linking to specific ShotGrid projects.
- When adjusting your account’s plan limits in the Billing tab of the Workspace Settings, you can now select storage in any multiple of 50GB up to 5TB.
- Improved session syncing in the 3D Viewer, reducing the chance that viewers will land on different frames when playback is paused.
- Updated the software library being used for PDF conversion to be more performant.
- Optimizing video encoding settings to ensure high standards of quality while maintaining reasonable file sizes.
- Improved self-service email notifications for when accounts go over their paid user limits.
- Improved how session syncing performs when zooming in the UV Layout panel of the 3D Viewer.
- Setting the environment background to be blurred by default in the 3D Viewer.
- Optimizations around how the state of Reviews and Items are stored, making load times faster across SyncSketch.
- Improved responsiveness when sketches are being cut and pasted while using ghosting mode.
- Fixed an issue where sketches would continue to display on other frames when entering sequence playback mode.
- Fixed an account payment issue where users who had invalid credit card couldn't later update their card to a new valid card.
- Fixed an issue where video encoding would fail if watermarking was enabled but no watermarking settings were saved.
- Fixed an issue where guest users were not able to download content or change statuses, even if they'd be enabled to do so in the review share settings.
- Fixed an issue in the 3D Viewer where sometimes the camera movements of an unsynced user would get picked up by an active synced session.
- Fix an issue where some users were prompted to add a new video call when one was already in progress.
- Fix to ensure the UV Layout panel can be drawn on and doesn't just pan the window instead.
- Fix to ensure all media uploaded gets an associated thumbnail image generated.
- Fix to ensure expired credit cards can be more easily updated on the payments page.
- Fixed an issue with undo which sometimes caused saving empty sketches.
- Fixed an issue where duplicate Sketches would be created when leaving a Review during the saving process.
We've introduced a new user permission role called "billing" in this release along with some significant performance improvements to the 3D Viewer.
See the full release notes below for more details:
- You can now add a Workspace admin of type “billing”. This admin can manage billing details and update payment info. Billing admins have no access to media or reviews, and do not count against your seat usage.
- Added MFA badge icons beside user names to indicate to workspace administrators which users have Multi-factor Authentication (MFA) enabled.
- We now auto-detect file types for files uploaded without file extensions (except .PDF and .AI)
- In the 3D Viewer, pressing the Alt key while using the navigation tool will now momentarily switch to the last-used brush tool, returning to the camera navigation tool once the Alt key is released.
- When sharing Review Links with External Collaborators, you can now set the link to allow users to open the review without automatically joining any synced reviews underway.
- Character limits have now been raised significantly for Review names (1024 characters) and Review descriptions (effectively unlimited).
- Company names now appear on invoices.
- You can now edit Review names directly from the Project Overview page.
- Formatting on several notification emails has improved.
- 3D Viewer no longer simulates camera framing, since it didn’t really make sense in this context and caused some issues.
- Model focusing is now generally improved in the 3D Viewer in many ways.
- Many of the controls in the 3D Viewer now work more predictably.
- Changing the Field of View in the 3D Viewer settings no longer shifts the camera orientation.
- The hover menus in the Shot Item List are now easier to target with your mouse.
- Shift-W/A/S/D can now be used to navigate in Flythrough mode in the 3D Viewer, in addition to using onscreen controls.
- Sketches with the Laser Pointer tool now fade after a moment when drawn on mobile devices in the same way as on desktop systems.
- The Compare mode drop down handles long item names nicely.
- UV Viewer in the 3D Viewer is no longer distorted when cycling through the UVs or resizing the viewer, and works correctly in synced review sessions.
- The Pie menu (CTRL+Click)now works in Firefox.
- Drawing now works as expected when you switch back to the Player from another tab or application.
- Improved error handling in PDF exports.
- External collaborators are no longer required to enable multi-factor authentication (MFA).
- Fixed a situation where an expired credit card could not be replaced.
- Fixed conditions where item thumbnails were not updating.
We've released a significant upgrade to the core sketching experience, featuring expressive brushes, improved control and more!
The main drawing tool, which we call the Ballpoint Pen, now draws a very natural line shape with lovely tapering based on speed of drawing (or pressure from a stylus if you're using one).
In addition there's a new Brush tool to add expressive painterly strokes that can illustrate your ideas in a way that would be tedious or impossible with the Ballpoint Pen.
Users on an Enterprise plan get an incredible set of brush customization options that can apply individually to the Brush, the Ballpoint Pen and even the Eraser!
If you're erasing, SyncSketch intelligently returns you to the last-used brush using the
Bkey or stylus nib.
We've added an upper toolbar and reorganized the tool groupings to make the interface less cluttered and more organized and responsive to windows of varying sizes and shapes.
You can now toggle between two colors using an onscreen icon or the
You can now hold the Shift key to constrain sketching to horizontal or vertical lines.
You can now adjust the brush size with great precision by holding the
Skey while dragging in the image area.
On mobile devices we've added a new tool grouping at the left edge that is designed to conveniently control common functions with your thumb, including Undo and drawing options like Size and Opacity. There are also timeline navigation controls, including the unique Variscrubber that lets you scrub the timeline by moving your thumb vertically and control how fast you scrub the timeline by how far you extend your thumb horizontally.
Here are a few known limitations of the new sketching engine that we are working to overcome:
- Pasting sketches currently replaces existing sketches instead of adding to them.
- There is no Undo for pasting sketches.
- You cannot currently paste cut or copied sketches into other media items.
- The Eyedropper and Compare tools are not currently available on Mobile.
All of these new features are documented in Using the SyncSketch Drawing Tools.
We've introduced new widgets on the SyncSketch website to make access to the Changelog and Feedback Board even easier!
When outside of the player, you'll notice a new light bulb icon which gives quick access to the latest posts on the Changelog. In the lower right corner, inside the "?" menu, you'll notice a "Submit Feedback" link which now opens a widget inside the SyncSketch website.
Inside the player, the same Feedback widget is available within the "?" menu - so you can always leave us feedback as soon as you think of a new idea!